• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 6:54 am Reply with quote
Reminds me of season 3. Discussion episodes again and again until someone hurts slime and then slime hurts those people back.
MrJeremyT

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 8:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
However, we've already seen what happens to monsters when they are robbed of their connection to magic—so aren't the people of Tempest just weakening themselves?

From my understanding of reading both the manga and LN, there's a difference between random forest monsters and the sentient beings that are now living in the town. The townies subsist on magicules, but they aren't fully reliant on them as they generate their own as well. The forest monsters on the other hand rely on magicules like we do with oxygen and any lack of magicules makes living difficult. That makes the roads a solid deterrent for monsters allowing a safe path through the town.

If I remember correctly I believe the head dwarf even mentioned that while it does suck magicules out of the air it's not to a level that will affect sentient beings like them.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Rogueywon wrote:
If anybody's finding this a bit dry, don't worry...

If we get enough seasons, there's an entire light novel that's just spoiler[the author listing the stats, abilities and power levels of the major characters (and admitting in the epilogue that his editor advised him not to).]

Oh no...
spoiler[I already came burned out enough from Kumoko's anime. This is a large scale politics series anyway, should the granular individual skills of a lot of people even matter that much?]

MrJeremyT wrote:
From my understanding of reading both the manga and LN, there's a difference between random forest monsters and the sentient beings that are now living in the town.

That gets a bit iffy when you consider Ranga and the direwolves.
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Half a season of meetings. It really is season 3 done again. If the next episode is meetings it will break season 3's record.

The ironic part is I wanted slime to be considered of its world building and nation building. But despite devoting most of its time to talking with people it doesnt do that. It only discusses the machinations of enemies and how to deploy their forces. Not 1 detail on the military training, resources and preparation or how to provide for tempest.

Instead its a twirl mustache off.

I still dont hate slime, I think the machinations of the western holy church are interesting. Its just so bogged down. I look forward to slime remembering all its discussions are about being a battle show.

The weirdest thing to me is that tempest seems to have forgotten that rescuing that nation from civil war was how they where going to position Youm as a hero and new leader. But now they are going to send another invasion force and no one at all mentions how this will affect their standings with the civilians.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 4:12 am Reply with quote
Gotta love how Rimuru was upset because Tempest's leadership structure has become competent enough to not need his micromanagement for everything.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 7:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
While he went far beyond the moral event horizon when he murdered the entire 20,000-strong Falmuth army—including those who wanted to surrender—this episode does a lot to show that he wasn't exactly in his right mind when he did so. Although Rimuru has never shown any remorse for his actions that day, it says something that he does not want to witness such an event again.

I disagree with that. He didn't kill them just to kill them. Killing them literally gave him the ability to bring his murdered friends and subjects back to life. Moreover, he had to kill all of them to get it. It was established after the first round of killing that he only had about half the souls he needed to ascend, and it was only at that point that he killed the rest as well. It was cold-hearted, but utilitarian. He didn't kill out of pure rage or madness.

Although, you know, that army would have slaughtered everyone in Tempest, so....

Quote:
I guess it makes sense with all the people from our world being transported to or reborn into this one that someone would make a gun. Though, in a world with tons of magic like this one, I wonder how useful guns are.

This idea is also one they are playing around with in Tsukimichi Moonlit Fantasy this season.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 7:16 am Reply with quote
That would be Gobwa with the two-tone hair. Although I'd love to see Goba with ANY kind of hair Laughing
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 7:43 pm Reply with quote
This show is really competing with Tsukimichi in-terms of being a slow-paced Isekai show where it feels like barely anything happens. Just when you think stuff is about to happen...more meetings and conversations!

I get that some set-up is necessary but at the same time that doesn't make this any less dry or uninteresting to watch. Static meetings read better in text form than in animation and yet that's basically all we've been getting this season.

Some shows can carry dialogue-driven episodes or concepts based on the characters or premise but I don't think this show can, especially when most of the cast are just saying "we can take care of this no problem/sasuga Rimuru-sama." Like I like the cast but 50% of their characterization and screentime is just praising Rimuru at this point.

And as always Tempest is treating things so casually because they are so OP they can basically get away with fighting non-lethally and it just requires a little more effort on their part. So they'll just continue to steamroll through their problems.

I did like the introduction of Gobwa (give her more screentime) and Benimaru giving Albis the sexy side-eye.

There's more meetings and more political intrigue with another villainous group but the most interesting thing about it is that they're voiced by Daisuke Ono and Inori Minase.

Can't wait for them to set up Rimuru vs Hinata only for them to instead get chairs and a table so we can have another meeting.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 12:53 am Reply with quote
I was wondering where these new ogres came from, but apparently they evolved from (the evolved form of) goblins. I guess that's one of those details that got left in the book unless I missed it / forgot about it when Rimuru became a true demon lord.

I don't really mind the chatting, but it was a bit much spending so much time with this Rosso/Cerberus conference when I also don't think we've seen hide nor hair of them before
Jabootu

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 6:39 am Reply with quote
Thus sayeth MFrontier:

Quote:
This show is really competing with Tsukimichi in-terms of being a slow-paced Isekai show where it feels like barely anything happens. Just when you think stuff is about to happen...more meetings and conversations!

I agree (not to get into a long tangent on Tsukimichi on this board). They actually made what I took to be a joke about that exact thing on the latest episode. I'm hoping they are holding their budget to make the final episodes as spectacular as they can. (Slime might be doing the same.) I mean, I'm not expecting Demon Slayer animation or anything, but if you could do as well as the final fight in Tsukimichi's first season that would be keen. Actually, I'm kind of a fan of shows where they make killer fights through editing and sound design more than super fluid animation. I guess because it's more of an achievement in a way.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 3:55 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Can't wait for them to set up Rimuru vs Hinata only for them to instead get chairs and a table so we can have another meeting.

I laughed out loud at this Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
• Have we ever even heard of, much less seen, the Rosso family before?

Nope

Quote:
Luckily for our monster heroes, they have one major advantage: they are constantly being underestimated.

Its how they work. Its even been lampshaded by another character that Rimuru actually wants others to underestimate him.

Quote:
The ironic part is I wanted slime to be considered of its world building and nation building. But despite devoting most of its time to talking with people it doesnt do that. It only discusses the machinations of enemies and how to deploy their forces. Not 1 detail on the military training, resources and preparation or how to provide for tempest.

Instead its a twirl mustache off.

Slime tries to balance real life aspects like politics and economics with the standard isekai OP battle fantasy trope. Whether it works or not is up to the opinion of the viewer. I cant count the number of people I've seen online complaining about these meeting episodes because they want more action. Conversely, I've also seen lots of people who are fine with the meetings complain that they don't discuss other matters like the ones you mentioned.

Quote:
spoiler[I already came burned out enough from Kumoko's anime. This is a large scale politics series anyway, should the granular individual skills of a lot of people even matter that much?]

Yes. spoiler[While not as convoluted and mind-numbing as Kumo's, they are still important to the story especially the Ultimates but like a lot of other things in this, just remembering them and what they do is a test of your memory and attention span.]
Hal14

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 12:05 pm Reply with quote
They estimated it would take two weeks for hinata to arrive. It did take two weeks. And during that time Tempest did... nothing? Pretty passive for someone who wanted to avoid further conflict. I feel like he could have attached a note to a rock and left it somewhere for her to read. Heck, when they arrived at the border of the city those goblin guards could have passed a message.Raphael already told him "there is a high chance she wants to talk" or something like that.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I feel uneasy. How come there was only one meeting and it was so short and casual?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
I feel uneasy. How come there was only one meeting and it was so short and casual?

Presumably just a minor pre-meeting prior to the main meeting? Which hopefully will be the first of several more formal meetings of which the cast will commence meeting within in the next episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2