• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds English Dub for Natsume's Book of Friends Season 5 Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:13 am Reply with quote
Great, keep it coming Crunchy.
Eddy2

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure there's some sort of reason for this but… why is Mike Haimoto still here even after the allegations?
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Eddy2 wrote:
I'm sure there's some sort of reason for this but… why is Mike Haimoto still here even after the allegations?

That's been a question on every place I've seen this announcement.
Chances are, he kept his head down long enough that his friends at the studio are trying to quietly slip him back in. I've always said if Vic Mignogna had shut his mouth, he'd still be working in the industry today.

I do wish ANN would've called attention to this casting decision, because I get the feeling that it'll slip right under the radar.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 3:37 pm Reply with quote
flamemasterelan wrote:

That's been a question on every place I've seen this announcement.
Chances are, he kept his head down long enough that his friends at the studio are trying to quietly slip him back in. I've always said if Vic Mignogna had shut his mouth, he'd still be working in the industry today.

Was it ever confirmed he was recast in Vinland Saga and did we ever find out who replaced him if he was?
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Was it ever confirmed he was recast in Vinland Saga and did we ever find out who replaced him if he was?

This is a surprisingly difficult question to answer, since the Vinland Saga dub was done by Crunchyroll, who almost goes out of their way to make sure that you can't figure out who's in their projects. At least Sentai runs a separate English credits, but I really miss when Funimation translated the credits, because finding information on CR's dubs without a press release is mostly just guesswork from the fans.

All that to say...I dunno. I watched the union dub, so maybe someone who watched the Sentai/CR dub will have noticed his voice changing at some point, but it's not on Behind the Voice Actors, at least.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 5:12 pm Reply with quote
A big difference between the allegations against Mike Haimoto and Vic Mignogna, was that the allegations towards Vic were from co-workers, it was related to his work. The allegations towards Mike Haimoto, while also from a co-worker, she was also his girlfriend, and it took place outside of work. Unless it is something illegal, like was the case with Scott Freeman, I don't think every case of allegations in someone's personal life will lead to what happened with Vic.

The dub Vinland Saga season 2 had already started by the time Avery Smithhart accused him. So yes, he was in season 2. Does he still do work with Sentai? BTVA leaves out a lot of Sentai dubs, so it might not be showing any recent titles he's been in.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 5:26 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
A big difference between the allegations against Mike Haimoto and Vic Mignogna, was that the allegations towards Vic were from co-workers, it was related to his work. The allegations towards Mike Haimoto, while also from a co-worker, she was also his girlfriend, and it took place outside of work. Unless it is something illegal, like was the case with Scott Freeman, I don't think every case of allegations in someone's personal life will lead to what happened with Vic.
I think this is overlooking Funimation knew about the Vic allegations for years but still kept him on board because he was a popular con guest. People who worked at Funimation talked about how they would put "Vic locks" on the studio doors to keep Vic out so they were certainly fine with having Vic even when it was affecting the work place. They only let go of Vic after the public outcry grew so big it couldn't be ignored. In comparison, Mike Haimoto is a much more niche actor that only hardcore dub watchers would be familiar with his name and Vinland Saga was his only real major role Even then I wouldn't be surprised if more of your casual anime fan watched the LA Netflix dub more than watched the TX dub. So as it stands Crunchyroll can keep ignoring the allegations because most of your average anime watcher doesn't know who Mike is.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 7:32 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I think this is overlooking Funimation knew about the Vic allegations for years but still kept him on board because he was a popular con guest. People who worked at Funimation talked about how they would put "Vic locks" on the studio doors to keep Vic out so they were certainly fine with having Vic even when it was affecting the work place. They only let go of Vic after the public outcry grew so big it couldn't be ignored. In comparison, Mike Haimoto is a much more niche actor that only hardcore dub watchers would be familiar with his name and Vinland Saga was his only real major role Even then I wouldn't be surprised if more of your casual anime fan watched the LA Netflix dub more than watched the TX dub. So as it stands Crunchyroll can keep ignoring the allegations because most of your average anime watcher doesn't know who Mike is.
Originally I was going to expand on the differences, by mentioning how with Vic, it was an open secret. I felt that was too much text, so I left it at out.

I really do not believe they are still working with him, because they can "ignore the allegations", which should just be allegation as it is between him and Avery Smithhart. They have hardly worked with him, they could easily drop him without any backlash, or making the slightest difference to their dubs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1